Areas of Expertise
- Innovation and business models
- New product strategies
- Marketing management
- Editorial roles at academic journals
- Marketing Science: Editorial Board Member (2011-present, 2005-2007, 2002-2005)
- Journal of Retailing: Associate Editor (2013-present), Editorial Board Member
- Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences: Editorial Board Member (2009-present)
- Organizing roles at academic conferences
- Chair of Program Committee, International Forum on Marketing Research,Shanghai University of Finance and Economics, Shanghai, China, June 2013, June 2011, June 2009.
- Faculty Coordinator (joint with Jayati Sinha), The Lisle & Roslyn Payne University of Arizona/Arizona State University Research Symposium, Tucson, AZ, April 2013.
- Co-chair (Marketing Research and Technology Track), American Marketing Association Summer Educator's Conference, August 2009.
- Conference coordinator, BCRST Annual Marketing Conference (University of Buffalo, Cornell University, University of Rochester, Syracuse University, University of Toronto), May 2005.
Chen, Yubo, Yong Liu, and Jurui Zhang (2012), “When Do Third-party Product Reviews Affect Firm Value and What Can Firms Do? The Case of Media Critics and Professional Movie Reviews,” Journal of Marketing, 76 (2): 116-134.
Li, Xiarong, Daniel Zeng, Yong Liu, and Yanwu Yang (2011), “Click Fraud and the Adverse Effects on Competition,” IEEE Intelligent Systems, 26 (6): 31-39.
Chakravarty, Anindita, Yong Liu, and Tridib Mazumdar (2010), “The Differential Effects of Online Word-of-Mouth and Critics’ Reviews on Pre-release Movie Evaluation,” Journal of Interactive Marketing, 24 (3): 185-197.
This paper is a runner-up for the 2011 JIM Best Paper Award.
Liu, Yong, Yubo Chen, Robert F. Lusch, Hsinchun Chen, David Zimbra, and Shuo Zeng (2010), "User-Generated Content on Social Media: Predicting New Product Market Success from Online Word-of-Mouth," IEEE: Intelligent Systems, 25 (1): 75-78.
Chen, Yubo, Shankar Ganesan, and Yong Liu (2009), “Does a Firm’s Product Recall Strategy Affect Its Financial Value? An Examination of Strategic Alternatives during Product-harm Crises,” Journal of Marketing, 73 (6): 214-226.
Zhao, Xuan, Derek Atkins and Yong Liu (2009) "Effects of Distribution Channel Structure in Markets with Vertically Differentiated Products," Quantitative Marketing and Economics, 7 (4): 377-397.
Liu, Yong (2006), “Word-of-Mouth for Movies: Its Dynamics and Impact on Box Office Revenue,” Journal of Marketing, 70 (3): 74-89. This paper was quoted in The New York Times and other media.
Krider, Robert E. Tieshan Li, Yong Liu and Charles B. Weinbert (2005), "The Lead-Lag Puzzle of Demand and Distribution: A Graphical Method Applied to Movies,"Marketing Science, 24 (4): 635-645.
Liu, Yong, Daniel S. Putler, and Charles B. Weinberg (2004), “Is Having More Channels Really Better? A Model of Competition Among Commercial Television Broadcasters,” MarketingScience, 23 (1): 120-133.
Awards and Honors
- Executive MBA Faculty Award for Outstanding Module, 2010-2011.
- Journal of Retailing Outstanding Reviewer Award, 2011.
- Journal of Interactive Marketing Best Paper Award Runner-up, 2011.
- Management Science Meritorious Service Award, 2009
- Marketing Science Institute (MSI) Young Scholar, 2007.
- Eller College Student Council Award for Outstanding Contribution, 2007, 2008, 2009.
- Strategic Faculty Development Fund, Syracuse University, 2005.
- Fellow, Center for the Study of Popular Television, Newhouse School of Public Communications, Syracuse University, 2003-04.