Areas of Expertise
Quantitative models of marketing, innovation and media strategies:
- Innovation and business models
- Social interactions and new media
- Marketing strategies for media and cultural products, especially movie marketing
- Competitive strategies for business and nonprofits
- Firm strategies during product-harm crisis
Marketing Science: Editorial Board Member
- Journal of Marketing: Editorial Board Member
Journal of Retailing: Associate Editor
Decision Sciences: Associate Editor
Organizational/leadership roles at academic conferences
- Organizing Committee Member, China Marketing International Conference (CMIC), Shanghai, China, July 2018.
- Track Chair, Product Policy and Product Recall Strategies, China Marketing International Conference (CMIC), Shanghai, China, July 2018.
- Chair of Entertainment Analytics Track, INFORMS 2016 Annual Conference, Nashville, TN, November 2016.
- Co-chair (Media & Entertainment Track), American Marketing Association Winter Educator’s Conference, February 2016.
- Chair of Program Committee, Binhai International Research Forum in Management Science, Tianjin, China, June 2016, 2015, 2014.
- Chair of Program Committee, Research Forum on Marketing, Shanghai University of Finance and Economics, Shanghai, China, June 2013, 2011, 2009
- Faculty Coordinator, The Lisle & Roslyn Payne University of Arizona/Arizona State University Research Symposium, Tucson, AZ, April 2013.
- Co-chair (Marketing Research and Technology Track),American Marketing Association Summer Educator’s Conference, August 2009.
- Coordinator, BCRST Annual Marketing Conference (University of Buffalo, Cornell University, University of Rochester, Syracuse University, University of Toronto), May 2005.
- Shanghai Advanced Institute of Finance (SAIF), China, 2017 (May-July).
- University of Sydney, Australia, 2015 (May-June).
Selected Recent Publications
- Lin, Mingfeng, Yong Liu and Siva Viswanathan (2018), "Effectiveness of Reputation in Contracting for Customized Production: Evidence from Online Labor Markets," Management Science, 64 (1): 345-359.
- Liu, Angela Xia, Yong Liu and Ting Luo (2016), "What Drives a Firm's Choice of Product Recall Remedy? The Impact of Remedy Cost, Product Hazard, and the CEO," Journal of Marketing, 80 (3): 79-95.
- Liu, Yong, Shirley Mai and Jun Yang (2015), "Network Externalities in Online Video Games: An Empirical Analysis Utilizing Online Product Ratings," Marketing Letters, 26(4), 679-690.
- Zhang, Jurui, Yong Liu and Yubo Chen (2015), “Social Learning in Networks of Friends versus Strangers,” Marketing Science, 34 (4), July-August: 573-589.
- Liu, Angela Xia, Yong Liu and Tridib Mazumdar (2013), “Star Power in the Eye of the Beholder: A Study of the Influence of Stars in the Movie Industry,” Marketing Letters, August, pp. 1-12. Lead article.
- Chen, Yubo, Yong Liu, and Jurui Zhang (2012), “When Do Third-party Product Reviews Affect Firm Value and What Can Firms Do? The Case of Media Critics and Professional Movie Reviews,” Journal of Marketing, 76 (2): 116-134.
- Li, Xiarong, Daniel Zeng, Yong Liu, and Yanwu Yang (2011), “Click Fraud and the Adverse Effects on Competition,” IEEE Intelligent Systems, 26 (6): 31-39.
- Chakravarty, Anindita, Yong Liu, and Tridib Mazumdar (2010), “The Differential Effects of Online Word-of-Mouth and Critics’ Reviews on Pre-release Movie Evaluation,” Journal of Interactive Marketing, 24 (3): 185-197. This paper is a runner-up for the 2011 JIM Best Paper Award. This paper was a runner-up for the 2011 JIM Best Paper Award.
- Liu, Yong, Yubo Chen, Robert F. Lusch, Hsinchun Chen, David Zimbra, and Shuo Zeng (2010), "User-Generated Content on Social Media: Predicting New Product Market Success from Online Word-of-Mouth," IEEE: Intelligent Systems, 25 (1): 75-78.
- Chen, Yubo, Shankar Ganesan, and Yong Liu (2009), “Does a Firm’s Product Recall Strategy Affect Its Financial Value? An Examination of Strategic Alternatives during Product-harm Crises,” Journal of Marketing, 73 (6): 214-226.
- Zhao, Xuan, Derek Atkins and Yong Liu (2009) "Effects of Distribution Channel Structure in Markets with Vertically Differentiated Products," Quantitative Marketing and Economics, 7 (4): 377-397.
Selected Awards and Honors
- Eller Evening MBA Most Valuable Professor (Phoenix) Nomination, 2017
- The 52nd AMA-Sheth Foundation Doctoral Consortium Faculty, University of Iowa, 2017
- The 51st AMA-Sheth Foundation Doctoral Consortium Faculty, University of Notre Dame, 2016
- Eller College Dean's Course Innovation Award, 2016
- Eller College Dean's Award for Undergraduate Teaching Excellence, 2015
- University of Arizona Honors College Outstanding Thesis Advisor Award, 2015
- Executive MBA Faculty Award for Outstanding Module, 2010-2011.
- Journal of Retailing Outstanding Reviewer Award, 2011.
- Journal of Interactive Marketing Best Paper Award Runner-up, 2011.
- Management Science Meritorious Service Award, 2009
- Marketing Science Institute (MSI) Young Scholar, 2007.