Associate Professor of Marketing
Gary M. Munsinger Chair in Entrepreneurship and Innovation
Areas of Expertise
- Innovation and business models
- Social interactions and new media
- Marketing strategies for media and cultural products, especially movie marketing
- Competitive strategies for business and nonprofits
- Firm strategies during product-harm crisis
Innovation and new product strategies
Entrepreneurship and innovation
Entertainment industries marketing
- Editorial roles at academic journals
- Marketing Science: Editorial Board Member (2011-present, 2005-2007, 2002-2005)
- Journal of Retailing: Associate Editor (2013-present), Editorial Board Member (2011-present)
- Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences: Editorial Board Member (2009-2012)
- Organizing roles at academic conferences
- Co-chair (Media & Entertainment Track), American Marketing Association Winter Educator’s Conference, February 2016.
- Chair of Program Committee, The 1st Binhai International Research Forum in Management Science, Tianjin, China, June 2014.
- Chair of Program Committee, Research Forum on Marketing, Shanghai University of Finance and Economics, Shanghai, China, June 2013, 2011, 2009
- Faculty Coordinator, The Lisle & Roslyn Payne University of Arizona/Arizona State University Research Symposium, Tucson, AZ, April 2013.
- Co-chair (Marketing Research and Technology Track),American Marketing Association Summer Educator’s Conference, August 2009.
- Coordinator, BCRST Annual Marketing Conference (University of Buffalo, Cornell University, University of Rochester, Syracuse University, University of Toronto), May 2005.
- Zhang, Jurui, Yong Liu and Yubo Chen (forthcoming), “Social Learning in Networks of Friends versus Strangers,” Marketing Science.
- Liu, Angela Xia, Yong Liu and Tridib Mazumdar (2013), “Star Power in the Eye of the Beholder: A Study of the Influence of Stars in the Movie Industry,” Marketing Letters, August, pp. 1-12. Lead article.
- Chen, Yubo, Yong Liu, and Jurui Zhang (2012), “When Do Third-party Product Reviews Affect Firm Value and What Can Firms Do? The Case of Media Critics and Professional Movie Reviews,” Journal of Marketing, 76 (2): 116-134.
- Li, Xiarong, Daniel Zeng, Yong Liu, and Yanwu Yang (2011), “Click Fraud and the Adverse Effects on Competition,” IEEE Intelligent Systems, 26 (6): 31-39.
- Chakravarty, Anindita, Yong Liu, and Tridib Mazumdar (2010), “The Differential Effects of Online Word-of-Mouth and Critics’ Reviews on Pre-release Movie Evaluation,” Journal of Interactive Marketing, 24 (3): 185-197.
This paper is a runner-up for the 2011 JIM Best Paper Award.
- Liu, Yong, Yubo Chen, Robert F. Lusch, Hsinchun Chen, David Zimbra, and Shuo Zeng (2010), "User-Generated Content on Social Media: Predicting New Product Market Success from Online Word-of-Mouth," IEEE: Intelligent Systems, 25 (1): 75-78.
- Chen, Yubo, Shankar Ganesan, and Yong Liu (2009), “Does a Firm’s Product Recall Strategy Affect Its Financial Value? An Examination of Strategic Alternatives during Product-harm Crises,” Journal of Marketing, 73 (6): 214-226.
- Zhao, Xuan, Derek Atkins and Yong Liu (2009) "Effects of Distribution Channel Structure in Markets with Vertically Differentiated Products," Quantitative Marketing and Economics, 7 (4): 377-397.
- Liu, Yong (2006), “Word-of-Mouth for Movies: Its Dynamics and Impact on Box Office Revenue,” Journal of Marketing, 70 (3): 74-89. This paper was quoted in The New York Times and other media.
- Krider, Robert E. Tieshan Li, Yong Liu and Charles B. Weinbert (2005), "The Lead-Lag Puzzle of Demand and Distribution: A Graphical Method Applied to Movies," Marketing Science, 24 (4): 635-645.
- Liu, Yong, Daniel S. Putler, and Charles B. Weinberg (2004), “Is Having More Channels Really Better? A Model of Competition Among Commercial Television Broadcasters,” Marketing Science, 23 (1): 120-133.
Awards and Honors
- Executive MBA Faculty Award for Outstanding Module, 2010-2011.
- Journal of Retailing Outstanding Reviewer Award, 2011.
- Journal of Interactive Marketing Best Paper Award Runner-up, 2011.
- Management Science Meritorious Service Award, 2009
- Marketing Science Institute (MSI) Young Scholar, 2007.
- Eller College Student Council Award for Outstanding Contribution, 2007, 2008, 2009.
- Strategic Faculty Development Fund, Syracuse University, 2005.
- Fellow, Center for the Study of Popular Television, Newhouse School of Public Communications, Syracuse University, 2003-04.