Associate Professor of Marketing
Gary M. Munsinger Chair in Entrepreneurship & Innovation
Ph.D. in Marketing, University of British Columbia, 2002
Areas of Expertise
Quantitative models of marketing, innovation and media strategies:
- Innovation and business models
- Social interactions and new media
- Marketing strategies for media and cultural products, especially movie marketing
- Competitive strategies for business and nonprofits
- Firm strategies during product-harm crisis
MKTG 459 Innovation and Product Management
MKTG 480 Marketing Research for Entrepreneurs
MKTG 559 Innovation and Product Strategy
MKTG 579 Marketing of Innovation
MKTG 696 Special Topics in Marketing Research-Theoretical Models
Innovation & new product strategies
Entrepreneurship & innovation
Entertainment industries marketing
Editorial roles at academic journals
Marketing Science: Editorial Board Member (2011-present, 2005-2007, 2002-2005)
Journal of Retailing: Associate Editor (2013-present), Editorial Board Member (2011-present)
Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences: Editorial Board Member (2009-2012)
Organizing roles at academic conferences
- Co-chair (Media & Entertainment Track), American Marketing Association Winter Educator’s Conference, February 2016.
- Chair of Program Committee, Binhai International Research Forum in Management Science, Tianjin, China, June 2016, 2015, 2014.
- Chair of Program Committee, Research Forum on Marketing, Shanghai University of Finance and Economics, Shanghai, China, June 2013, 2011, 2009
- Faculty Coordinator, The Lisle & Roslyn Payne University of Arizona/Arizona State University Research Symposium, Tucson, AZ, April 2013.
- Co-chair (Marketing Research and Technology Track),American Marketing Association Summer Educator’s Conference, August 2009.
- Coordinator, BCRST Annual Marketing Conference (University of Buffalo, Cornell University, University of Rochester, Syracuse University, University of Toronto), May 2005.
Selected Recent Publications
- Lin, Mingfeng, Yong Liu and Siva Viswanathan (2016), "Effectiveness of Reputation in Contracting for Customized Production: Evidence from Online Labor Markets," forthcoming at Management Science.
- Liu, Angela Xia, Yong Liu and Ting Luo (2016), "What Drives a Firm's Choice of Product Recall Remedy? The Impact of Remedy Cost, Product Hazard, and the CEO," forthcoming at Journal of Marketing.
- Liu, Yong, Shirley Mai and Jun Yang (2015), "Network Externalities in Online Video Games: An Empirical Analysis Utilizing Online Product Ratings," Marketing Letters, 26(4), 679-690.
- Zhang, Jurui, Yong Liu and Yubo Chen (2015), “Social Learning in Networks of Friends versus Strangers,” Marketing Science, 34 (4), July-August: 573-589.
- Liu, Angela Xia, Yong Liu and Tridib Mazumdar (2013), “Star Power in the Eye of the Beholder: A Study of the Influence of Stars in the Movie Industry,” Marketing Letters, August, pp. 1-12. Lead article.
- Chen, Yubo, Yong Liu, and Jurui Zhang (2012), “When Do Third-party Product Reviews Affect Firm Value and What Can Firms Do? The Case of Media Critics and Professional Movie Reviews,” Journal of Marketing, 76 (2): 116-134.
- Li, Xiarong, Daniel Zeng, Yong Liu, and Yanwu Yang (2011), “Click Fraud and the Adverse Effects on Competition,” IEEE Intelligent Systems, 26 (6): 31-39.
- Chakravarty, Anindita, Yong Liu, and Tridib Mazumdar (2010), “The Differential Effects of Online Word-of-Mouth and Critics’ Reviews on Pre-release Movie Evaluation,” Journal of Interactive Marketing, 24 (3): 185-197. This paper is a runner-up for the 2011 JIM Best Paper Award. This paper was a runner-up for the 2011 JIM Best Paper Award.
- Liu, Yong, Yubo Chen, Robert F. Lusch, Hsinchun Chen, David Zimbra, and Shuo Zeng (2010), "User-Generated Content on Social Media: Predicting New Product Market Success from Online Word-of-Mouth," IEEE: Intelligent Systems, 25 (1): 75-78.
- Chen, Yubo, Shankar Ganesan, and Yong Liu (2009), “Does a Firm’s Product Recall Strategy Affect Its Financial Value? An Examination of Strategic Alternatives during Product-harm Crises,” Journal of Marketing, 73 (6): 214-226.
- Zhao, Xuan, Derek Atkins and Yong Liu (2009) "Effects of Distribution Channel Structure in Markets with Vertically Differentiated Products," Quantitative Marketing and Economics, 7 (4): 377-397.
Selected Awards and Honors
- The 51st AMA-Sheth Foundation Doctoral Consortium Faculty, University of Notre Dame, 2016
- Eller College Dean's Course Innovation Award, 2016
- Eller College Dean's Award for Undergraduate Teaching Excellence, 2015
- University of Arizona Honors College Outstanding Thesis Advisor Award, 2015
- Executive MBA Faculty Award for Outstanding Module, 2010-2011.
- Journal of Retailing Outstanding Reviewer Award, 2011.
- Journal of Interactive Marketing Best Paper Award Runner-up, 2011.
- Management Science Meritorious Service Award, 2009
- Marketing Science Institute (MSI) Young Scholar, 2007.