Areas of Expertise
- Experiential consumption (aesthetic design, food portion size, happiness)
- Relationships (trust in interpersonal relationships, consumer-brand relationship)
- Neurophysiological explanations of consumer behavior
- Methods (behavioral experiments, psychometrics, fMRI, response accuracy, data triangulation)
- Advisory Panel Member (2012-2014), Society for Consumer Psychology
- Special Issue Editor (2012-2013), Frontiers in Psychology
- Founding Editor (2007-2010), Journal of Neuroscience, Psychology, and Economics
Cognition and Emotion
EMAC McKinsey Marketing Dissertation Award
European Journal of Marketing
Frontiers in Psychology
Human Brain Mapping
International Journal of Research in Marketing
Journal of Behavioral Decision Making
Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience
Journal of Consumer Psychology
Journal of Consumer Research
Journal of Marketing Research
Journal of Neuroscience, Psychology, and Economics
Neuroscience & Biobehavioral Reviews
Proceedings of the National Academy of Science (PNAS)
Conference Program Committee:
- Association for Consumer Research Annual Conference
- NeuroPsychoEconomics Conference
- Academy of Marketing Science Annual Conferences
- American Marketing Association Summer/Winter Conferences
- Association for Consumer Research Annual Conferences
Reimann, Martin and Kristen Lane, "Can a toy encourage lower calorie meal bundle selection in children? A field experiment on the reinforcing effects of toys on food choice," PLOS ONE.
Martin, Jolie, Martin Reimann, and Michael I. Norton, "Experience theory, or how desserts are like losses," Journal of Experimental Psychology: General, forthcoming.
Schilke, Oliver, Martin Reimann, and Karen S. Cook (2016), "Reply to Wu and Wilkes: Power, whether situational or durable, decreases both relational and generalized trust," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 113 (11), E1418.
Reimann, Martin, Deborah MacInnis, and Antoine Bechara (2016), "Can smaller meals make you happy? Behavioral, neurophysiological, and psychological insights into motivating smaller portion choice," Journal of the Association for Consumer Research, 1 (1), 71-91.
Reimann, Martin, Deborah MacInnis, and Antoine Bechara, (2015), "Leveraging the Happy Meal effect: Substituting food with modest non-food incentives decreases portion size choice, " Journal of Experimental Psychology: Applied, 21 (3), 276-286.
Schilke, Oliver, Martin Reimann, and Karen S. Cook (2015), "Power decreases trust in social exchange," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 112 (42), 12950-12955.
Schaefer, Michael, Franziska Rumpel, Abdolkarim Sadrieh, Martin Reimann, and Claudia Denke (2015), “Personal involvement is related to increased search motivation and associated with activity in left BA44 - a pilot study,” Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, 9 (142), 1-8.
Reimann, Martin, Gergana Y. Nenkov, Deborah MacInnis, and Maureen Morrin (2014), “The role of hope in financial risk seeking,” Journal of Experimental Psychology: Applied, 20 (4), 349-364.
Schilke, Oliver, Martin Reimann, and Karen S. Cook (2013), “Effect of relationship experience on trust recovery following a breach,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 110 (38), 15236-15241.
Marin, Alex, Martin Reimann, and Raquel Castaño, (2013), “Metaphors and creativity: Direct, moderating, and mediating effects,” Journal of Consumer Psychology (Special Issue), 24 (2), 290-297.
Homburg, Christian, Martin Klarmann, Martin Reimann, and Oliver Schilke*, (2012), “What drives key informant accuracy?,” Journal of Marketing Research, 49 (4), 594-608. *Authors are listed in alphabetical order.
Reimann, Martin, Raquel Castaño, Judith L. Zaichkowsky, and Antoine Bechara (2012), “How we relate to brands: Psychological and neurophysiological insights into consumer-brand relationships,” Journal of Consumer Psychology (Special Issue), 22 (1), 128-142.
Reimann, Martin, Wilko Feye, Alan J. Malter, Joshua M. Ackerman, Raquel Castaño, Nikita Garg, Robert Kreuzbauer, Aparna A. Labroo, Angela Y. Lee, Maureen Morrin, Gergana Y. Nenkov, Jesper H. Nielsen, Maria Eugenia Perez, Gratiana Pol, José A. Rosa, Carolyn Yoon and Chen-Bo Zhong (2012), "Embodiment in judgment and choice, "Journal of Neuroscience, Psychology, and Economics, 5 (2), 104-123.
Reimann, Martin, Oliver Schilke, Bernd Weber, Carolin Neuhaus, and Judith L. Zaichkowsky (2011), “Functional magnetic resonance imaging in consumer research: A review and application,” Psychology & Marketing, 28 (6), 608-637.
Reimann, Martin, Oliver Schilke, and Jacquelyn Thomas (2010), “Customer relationship management and firm performance: The mediating role of business strategy,” Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 38 (3), 326-346.
Reimann, Martin, Judith L. Zaichkowsky, Carolin Neuhaus, Thomas Bender, and Bernd Weber, 2010, “Aesthetic package design: A behavioral, neural, and psychological investigation,” Journal of Consumer Psychology (Special Issue), 20 (4), 431-441.
- Honored with the Park Award for the Best Article appearing in Vol. 20 (2010) of the Journal of Psychology
- Selected as Best Article for the Year 2010 for the Special Virtual Issue “Celebrating 20 Years” of the Journal of Consumer Psychology
- Honored with the JCP/Park Young Contributor Award by the Society for Consumer Psychology
Reimann, Martin, Oliver Schilke, and Jacquelyn Thomas, 2010, “Toward an understanding of industry commoditization: Its nature and role in marketing competition,” International Journal of Research in Marketing (Special Issue), 27 (2), 188-197.
Awards and Honors
- Consumer Behavior Rising Star Award (2013), American Marketing Association
- JCP/Park Young Contributor Award (2011), Society of Consumer Psychology
- M. Wayne Delozier Award (2011), Academy of Marketing Science
- William R. Darden Award (2008), Academy of Marketing Science