Areas of Expertise
- Experience theory (risk judgments; aesthetic judgments; portion size judgments)
- Close relationships (interpersonal relationships; consumer–brand relationships)
- Affect (desire; hope; curiosity; happiness)
- Neurophysiological explanations of consumer behavior
- Methods (behavioral experiments; psychometrics; fMRI; response accuracy; data triangulation)
Work in Progress
Reimann, Martin, “Decision making muscles: How the valuation of choice options is embodied in the brain’s cortical thickness."
Reimann, Martin, Deborah MacInnis, Valerie Folkes, Gratiana Pol, and Adriana Uhalde, “Brand betrayal: Psychometric and neurophysiological insights into an overlooked brand-self connection.”
Reimann, Martin, Oliver Schilke, and Karen S. Cook, “Sources of social relationships: Trust is heritable, distrust is not.”
Wiggin, Kyra, Shailendra P. Jain, and Martin Reimann, “Curiosity tempts indulgence.”
Reimann, Martin, Sandra Nuñez, and Raquel Castaño (2017), “Brand-Aid,”Journal of Consumer Research, forthcoming.
Reimann, Martin and Kristen Lane (2017), “Can a toy encourage lower calorie meal bundle selection in children? A field experiment on the reinforcing effects of toys on food choice,” PLOS ONE, 12 (1), e0169638.
Martin, Jolie, Martin Reimann, and Michael I. Norton (2016), “Experience theory, or how desserts are like losses,” Journal of Experimental Psychology: General, 145 (11), 1460-1472.
Schilke, Oliver, Martin Reimann, and Karen S. Cook (2016), "Reply to Wu and Wilkes: Power, whether situational or durable, decreases both relational and generalized trust," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 113 (11), E1418.
Reimann, Martin and C. Clark Cao (2016), “Aesthetics: Antecedents, underlying processes, and behavioral consequences,” in Cathrine Jansson-Boyd and Magdalena Zawisza (eds.), Handbook of Consumer Psychology, Taylor & Francis.
Reimann, Martin, Deborah MacInnis, and Antoine Bechara (2016), "Can smaller meals make you happy? Behavioral, neurophysiological, and psychological insights into motivating smaller portion choice," Journal of the Association for Consumer Research, 1 (1), 71-91.
Reimann, Martin, Deborah MacInnis, and Antoine Bechara, (2015), "Leveraging the Happy Meal effect: Substituting food with modest non-food incentives decreases portion size choice, " Journal of Experimental Psychology: Applied, 21 (3), 276-286.
Schilke, Oliver, Martin Reimann, and Karen S. Cook (2015), "Power decreases trust in social exchange," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 112 (42), 12950-12955.
Schaefer, Michael, Franziska Rumpel, Abdolkarim Sadrieh, Martin Reimann, and Claudia Denke (2015), “Personal involvement is related to increased search motivation and associated with activity in left BA44,” Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, 9 (142), 1-8.
Reimann, Martin, Gergana Y. Nenkov, Deborah MacInnis, and Maureen Morrin (2014), “The role of hope in financial risk seeking,” Journal of Experimental Psychology: Applied, 20 (4), 349-364.
Schilke, Oliver, Martin Reimann, and Karen S. Cook (2013), “Effect of relationship experience on trust recovery following a breach,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 110 (38), 15236-15241.
Marin, Alex, Martin Reimann, and Raquel Castaño (2013), “Metaphors and creativity: Direct, moderating, and mediating effects,” Journal of Consumer Psychology (Special Issue), 24 (2), 290-297.
Lehmann, Sebastian and Martin Reimann (2012), “Neural correlates of time versus money in product evaluation,” Frontiers in Psychology, 3 (372), 1-20.
Homburg, Christian, Martin Klarmann, Martin Reimann, and Oliver Schilke (2012)*, “What drives key informant accuracy?,” Journal of Marketing Research, 49 (4), 594-608. *Authors are listed in alphabetical order.
Reimann, Martin, Raquel Castaño, Judith L. Zaichkowsky, and Antoine Bechara (2012), “How we relate to brands: Psychological and neurophysiological insights into consumer-brand relationships,” Journal of Consumer Psychology (Special Issue), 22 (1), 128-142.
Reimann, Martin, Wilko Feye, Alan J. Malter, Joshua M. Ackerman, Raquel Castaño, Nikita Garg, Robert Kreuzbauer, Aparna A. Labroo, Angela Y. Lee, Maureen Morrin, Gergana Y. Nenkov, Jesper H. Nielsen, Maria Eugenia Perez, Gratiana Pol, José A. Rosa, Carolyn Yoon and Chen-Bo Zhong (2012), "Embodiment in judgment and choice, "Journal of Neuroscience, Psychology, and Economics, 5 (2), 104-123.
Levin, Irwin P., Gui Xue, Joshua A. Weller, Martin Reimann, Marco Lauriola, and Antoine Bechara (2012), “A neuropsychological approach to understanding risk-taking for potential gains and losses,” Frontiers in Neuroscience, 6 (15), 1-11.
Reimann, Martin, Oliver Schilke, Bernd Weber, Carolin Neuhaus, and Judith L. Zaichkowsky (2011), “Functional magnetic resonance imaging in consumer research: A review and application,” Psychology & Marketing, 28 (6), 608-637.
Reimann, Martin, Judith L. Zaichkowsky, Carolin Neuhaus, Thomas Bender, and Bernd Weber (2010), “Aesthetic package design: A behavioral, neural, and psychological investigation,” Journal of Consumer Psychology (Special Issue), 20 (4), 431-441.
Reimann, Martin and Antoine Bechara (2010), “The somatic marker framework as a neurological theory of decision-making: Review, conceptual comparisons, and future neuroeconomics research,” Journal of Economic Psychology, 31 (5), 767-776.
Reimann, Martin and Arthur Aron (2009), “Self-expansion motivation and inclusion of close brands in self: Towards a theory of brand relationships,” in: Joseph Priester, Deborah MacInnis, and C. W. Park (eds.), Handbook of Brand Relationships, M. E. Sharpe, 65-81.
Awards and Honors
- Consumer Behavior Rising Star Award (2013), American Marketing Association
- JCP/Park Young Contributor Award (2011), Society of Consumer Psychology
- M. Wayne Delozier Award (2011), Academy of Marketing Science
- William R. Darden Award (2008), Academy of Marketing Science
- Special Issue Editor (2012-2013), Frontiers in Psychology
- Founding Editor (2007-2010), Journal of Neuroscience, Psychology, and Economics
Advisory Panel Membership:
- Advisory Panel Member (2012-2015), Society for Consumer Psychology
- Business & Society
- Cerebral Cortex
- Cognition and Emotion
- EMAC McKinsey Marketing Dissertation Award
- European Journal of Marketing
- Frontiers in Psychology
- Human Brain Mapping
- Innovation: Management, Policy & Practice
- International Journal of Research in Marketing
- Journal of Behavioral Decision Making
- Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience
- Journal of Consumer Psychology
- Journal of Consumer Research
- Journal of Intelligence Community Research and Development
- Journal of International Marketing
- Journal of Marketing Research
- Journal of Neuroscience, Psychology, and Economics
- Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science
- Journal of the Association for Consumer Research
- Marketing Letters
- MIS Quarterly
- Nature Neuroscience
- Neuroscience & Biobehavioral Reviews
- Neuroscience Letters
- New Ideas in Psychology
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS)
- Research Grant Council (RGC) of Hong Kong, China
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC)
Conference Program Committee:
- Association for Consumer Research Annual Conference
- NeuroPsychoEconomics Conference
- Academy of Marketing Science Annual Conferences
- American Marketing Association Summer/Winter Conferences
- Association for Consumer Research Annual Conferences
Society for Consumer Psychology Annual Conferences
- American Marketing Association
- American Psychological Association
- Association for Consumer Research
- Association for NeuroPsychoEconomics
- Association for Psychological Science
- Marketing Science Institute
- Society for Consumer Psychology