Gary M. Munsinger Chair in Entrepreneurship and Innovation
- Ph.D., University of British Columbia, 2002
- Marketing management
- Marketing research
- Innovation & new product strategies
- International marketing
- Service marketing
- Entertainment industries marketing
- Models of marketing strategies
- Media and entertainment markets, especially movie marketing
- Competitive strategies for business and nonprofits
- Firm strategies during product-harm crisis
Chen, Yubo, Yong Liu, and Jurui Zhang (2012), “When Do Third-party Product Reviews Affect Firm Value and What Can Firms Do? The Case of Media Critics and Professional Movie Reviews,” Journal of Marketing, forthcoming.
Li, Xiarong, Daniel Zeng, Yong Liu, and Yanwu Yang (2011), “Click Fraud: Competition Leads It Up and Makes It Worse,” IEEE Intelligent Systems, forthcoming.
Chakravarty, Anindita, Yong Liu, and Tridib Mazumdar (2010), “The Differential Effects of Online Word-of-Mouth and Critics’ Reviews on Pre-release Movie Evaluation,” Journal of Interactive Marketing, 24 (3): 185-197.
This paper is a runner-up for the 2011 JIM Best Paper Award.
Liu, Yong, Yubo Chen, Robert F. Lusch, Hsinchun Chen, David Zimbra, and Shuo Zeng (2010), "User-Generated Content on Social Media: Predicting New Product Market Success from Online Word-of-Mouth," IEEE: Intelligent Systems, 25 (1): 75-78.
Chen, Yubo, Shankar Ganesan, and Yong Liu (2009), “Does a Firm’s Product Recall Strategy Affect Its Financial Value? An Examination of Strategic Alternatives during Product-harm Crises,” Journal of Marketing, 73 (6): 214-226.
Zhao, Xuan, Derek Atkins and Yong Liu (2009) "Effects of Distribution Channel Structure in Markets with Vertically Differentiated Products," Quantitative Marketing and Economics, 7 (4): 377-397.
Liu, Yong (2006), “Word-of-Mouth for Movies: Its Dynamics and Impact on Box Office Revenue,” Journal of Marketing, 70 (3): 74-89. This paper was quoted in The New York Times and other media.
Krider, Robert E. Tieshan Li, Yong Liu and Charles B. Weinbert (2005), "The Lead-Lag Puzzle of Demand and Distribution: A Graphical Method Applied to Movies,"Marketing Science, 24 (4): 635-645.
Liu, Yong, Daniel S. Putler, and Charles B. Weinberg (2004), “Is Having More Channels Really Better? A Model of Competition Among Commercial Television Broadcasters,” Marketing Science, 23 (1): 120-133.
- Editorial Board Member, Marketing Science (2011-present, 2005-2007, 2002-2005)
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Retailing (2011-present)
- Editorial Board Member, Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences (2009 to present)
Awards and Honors
- Executive MBA Faculty Award for Outstanding Module, 2010-2011.
- Journal of Retailing Outstanding Reviewer Award, 2011.
- Journal of Interactive Marketing Best Paper Award Runner-up, 2011.
- Management Science Meritorious Service Award, 2009
- Marketing Science Institute (MSI) Young Scholar, 2007.
- Eller College Student Council Award for Outstanding Contribution, 2007, 2008, 2009.
- Strategic Faculty Development Fund, Syracuse University, 2005.
- Fellow, Center for the Study of Popular Television, Newhouse School of Public Communications, Syracuse University, 2003-04.