Areas of Expertise
- Sociological aspects of consumer behavior
- Political ideology and consumption
- Socio-cultural embeddedness of price fairness
- Ethnic, gender, racial, and class differences in consumption and its meanings
- Socio-cultural embeddedness of youths' understanding of Smoking
André F. Maciel and Melanie Wallendorf (forthcoming), “Taste Engineering: An Extended Consumer Model Of Cultural Competence Constitution,” Journal of Consumer Research, Advance Access online October 24, 2016.
Michelle F. Weinberger and Melanie Wallendorf (2012), “Intracommunity Gifting at the Intersection of Contemporary Moral and Market Economies,” Journal of Consumer Research 39 (June), 74-92.
Freeman, Dan, Merrie Brucks, Melanie Wallendorf, Wendy Boland (2009), “Youths’ Understandings of Cigarette Advertisements,” Addictive Behaviors 34 (January), 36-42.
Jeff Wang and Melanie Wallendorf (2006), "Materialism, Status Signaling, and Product Satisfaction," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 34 (October), 494-505.
Edward McQuarrie, Linda Scott, John F. Sherry, Jr., and Melanie Wallendorf (2006), “Roundtable on Advertising as a Cultural Form,” Advertising and Society Review, vol. 6, #4 (January).
Dan Freeman, Merrie Brucks, and Melanie Wallendorf (2005), “Young Children’s Understandings of Cigarette Smoking,” Addiction 100 (10: October), 1537-1545.
David Crockett and Melanie Wallendorf (2004), “The Role of Normative Political Ideology in Consumer Behavior,” Journal of Consumer Research 31 (December), 511-528.
Melanie Wallendorf (2001), “Literally Literacy,” Journal of Consumer Research 27 (March), 505-512.
David Crockett and Melanie Wallendorf (1998), "Sociological Perspectives on Imposed School Dress Codes: Consumption as Attempted Suppression of Class and Group Symbolism," Journal of Macromarketing 18 (Fall), 115-131.
(For full list of publications see "View or download CV link" in "Contact Info and Links")
- Association for Consumer Research
- American Marketing Association
- American Sociological Association
Honors and Awards
- Recognition in 2005 by Top Tech News for article entitled "Market-Oriented Ethnography: Interpretation Building and Marketing Strategy Formulation" co-authored with Eric Arnould. Article was named as one of “10 Marketing Ideas from Academia” that any “self-respecting marketer should keep in their toolbox.”
- Honorable Mention Award in the 2005 Ferber competition to David Crockett for his dissertation-based paper, “The Role of Normative Political Ideology in Consumer Behavior,” published in Journal of Consumer Research, December 2004, co-authored with Melanie Wallendorf.
- Winner of 1992 Association for Consumer Research Award for Best Article in Journal of Consumer Research 1989-1991, for article entitled "The Sacred and the Profane in Consumer Behavior: Theodicy on the Odyssey," co-authored with Russell W. Belk and John F. Sherry, Jr. $1000 prize for each author.
- Best Paper Award for "Domestic Consumption Rituals and the Reproduction of American Households," co-authored with Eric Arnould, Conference on Family and Household Consumption and Production, University of California at Irvine, 1991.
- University of Arizona Foundation Creative Teaching Award, 1986