Department of Marketing Highlights 2014
Selected Faculty Accomplishments
- Professor Robert Lusch was identified as one of the "world's most influential scientific minds" in an analysis by Thomson Reuters.
- Professor Linda Price was awarded the Academy of Marketing Science's Lifetime Achievement Award. She is also the President of the prestigious Association for Consumer Research for 2013-2014.
- Associate Professor Hope Schau's 2009 article "How Brand Community Practices Create Value" received the Citation of Excellence in 2014 for being one of the top 50 most cited articles from that year. This article also received the Citation for Excellence in 2013.
- Professor Merrie Brucks' and Associate Professor Jesper Nielsen's research (with Marketing PhD alumnus Paul Connell) on Marketing Mascots and Children has received widespread coverage in the news (e.g., front page Arizona Daily Star)
- 18 top-tier Marketing and Management articles in a 2-year (2012-2014) span
Selected Student and Student-Club Accomplishments & Awards
- Our graduating batch of 2014 marketing majors were placed in industry sectors including technology & industrial (e.g., Cisco, IBM, General Electric, SAP, Echo Global Logistics), media (e.g., Yelp, Hearst Media, TNT Digital Media), CPG (e.g., Pepsi-co, General Mills, Nestle USA, Altria Group), service (e.g., AT&T, Verizon, Edward Jones, MGM Resorts Internationa), and retail (Macy's, Nordstrom, Dicks Sporting).
- Average, median, and maximum salary offers were $46K, $50K, and $75K respectively. 70% of our graduating batch had job offers (or were starting own company) by the graduation date (May 2014).
- Students in our Spring 2014 MKTG 425 (Advertising Management) class placed 1st in the National EdVenture Partners AT&T Brand Challenge.
- Our AAF (American Advertising Federation)/NSAC (National Student Advertising Competition) team won 2nd place in this year's competition. Teams are required to generate a strategic campaign for a "real-world" product/company. This year's client was Mary Kay Cosmetics.
- Our AMA Case team won 3rd place in the national "real-world" case competition in New Orleans. This year's case was "Hershey Take 5".
- Our EPSC (Eller Professional Sales Club), in their first year of operation took 2nd place (Adam Tank, MBA student) in the Team Sales event at the National Collegiate Sales Competition.
- PhD student Jameson Watts was awarded the ISBM (Institute for Study of Business Markets) doctoral dissertation prize.
- Incoming doctoral student Matt Godfrey was awarded a Graduate University Fellowship.
Selected Department Highlights
- Masters in Marketing program admitted its first set of students in Fall 2014.
- We have started offering new courses in Procing, Marketing of Innovations, and Marketing in our BBA and FTMBA platforms.
- We have aready offered 5 courses (Marketing Management, Marketing Research, Social Media Marketing, Marketing Strategy, and Innovation Management) in the OMBA platform with additional courses (e.g., Pricing; Marketing Analytics) to be offered very shortly.
- Variety of student-focused events planned for 2014-2015. We have already organized the Back-to-School BBQ (to coincide with the Career Fair and Career Immersion Day activities). Next on deck: the 11th Sales Summit (October 2014), Ad Fair (January 2015), the 11th Thinking Forward Leadership & Innovation conference (March 2015), the 10th Lisle & Roslyn Payne Research Symposium (April 2015).
- Enrollment in our Summer 2014 Marketing Minor Program was up almost 85% (50 students) compared to Summer 2013.