Lisa D. Ordóñez
Professor of Management and Organizations
Levine Family Faculty Fellow
- Ph.D. in Quantitative Psychology, University of California at Berkeley, 1994
- MGMT 562, Applied Business Statistics
Areas of Expertise
- Judgment and decision making with applications to management and consumer behavior
- Emotions and decision making
- Judgments of fairness
Publications and Working Papers
Schweitzer, M., Ordóñez, L. D., & Douma, B. (2004). The Dark Side of Goal Setting: The Role of Goals in Motivating Unethical Behavior. The Academy of Management Journal, 47, 422-432.
Cherry, B., Ordóñez, L. D., & Gilliland, S. (2003). Grade Expectations: The effects of expectations on fairness and satisfaction perceptions of grades. Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, 16, 375-395.
Connolly, T., & Ordóñez, L. D. (2003). Judgment and decision making. In W.C Borman., D. R. Ilgen, & R. J. Klimoski (Eds): Comprehensive Handbook of Psychology, Volume 12: Industrial and Organizational Psychology. New York: John Wiley.
Rapoport, A., Seale, D. A., & Ordóñez, L. D. (2002). Tacit coordination in choice between certain outcomes and endogenously determined lotteries. Journal of Risk and Uncertainty. 25, 21-45.
Ordóñez, L. D., Connolly, T., & Coughlan, R. (2000). Multiple reference points in pay satisfaction assessment. Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, 13, 329-344.
Ordóñez, L. D., & Connolly, T. (2000). Regret and responsibility: A reply to Zeelenberg et al. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 81, 132-142.
Ordóñez, L. D., Benson, L., & Beach, L. R. (1999). Testing the compatibility test: How instructions, accountability, and anticipated regret affect prechoice screening of options, Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 78, 63-80.
Ordóñez, L. D. (1998). The effect of correlation between price and quality on consumer choice. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 75, 258-273.
Papers under Review
Kugler, T, Ordóñez, L. D., & Connolly, T. (under review at Science). Emotion, decision and risk: Betting on gambles vs. betting on people.
Janakiraman, N., & Ordóñez, L. D. (Under review at Journal of Marketing). The Effect of Stricter Retail Deadlines on Consumer Product Returns
Goals gone wild: Systematic problems with goal setting in organizations, with M. Schweitzer, & M. Bazerman
The impact of discrete emotions on trust, with T. Kugler, T. Connolly, & A. Davis
Do minority managers get fewer breaks than white managers?: Evidence from the NFL, with M. Unzueta
A test of goal setting theory with an archival data set from NFL running plays, with M. Schweitzer
Group decision making and regret, with J. Irwin, B. Douma, and L. Paddock.
- Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, Editorial Board
- Journal of Management, Editorial Board
- Judgment and Decision Making, Editorial Board
- Organizationn Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Editorial Board
Awards & Honors
- Top 3 instructors of the Executive MBA, Class 2007
- National Science Foundation – PI (joint with Tamar Kugler and Terry Connolly) – Emotions and Decision Making (2008-2011) ($322,000)